Bubbling Over?

Subject: Bubbling Over?
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 21:30:56 -0800
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>

Thanks for the advice on my stalling/bumping Tiger problem. I replaced
the ignition switch a couple of days ago (which had gotten very
"notchy"...maybe a connection inside wasn't quite making contact), after
also tightening up a couple of questionable wiring connections, and so
far the Tiger seems A-OK in this area. No more stalling so far.

Now, however, I notice that the Tiger is running hotter than it should,
and this is a fairly sudden development. My two non-stock additions to
the cooling system are a Gano filter (I cleaned it out a month or so
ago...plenty of junk in there) and an extra overflow tank (in addition
to the stock header tank). I have an accurate temperature guage (tested
and adjusted very carefully).

I'm in Los Angeles and its been raining and has been nice and cool
(60-70 degrees max) the last couple of days. In this weather, in the
past, the car would normally run around 175-185 at in town speeds and
maybe get up to 200 at a stop light becfore cooling right back down as
soon as I moved. Now, in cool weather it's stting around 200 and a bit
above that at stop lights, and it doesn't really cool down that much
when I start driving.

The symptoms are as follows: It seems to take a bit longer than normal
to reach normal running temperature than it did before, and then the
needle climbs beyond what's normal for my Tiger.My extra overflow tank
does not seem to be functioning quite right (not cycling water in and
outg as the car heats and cools), plus I've had to add some water
periodically. I think I have detected a bit of a coolant smell in the
passenger compartment, maybe more when I've used the heater. I'm
suspicious that the heater core mught have sprung a leak so maybe I'll
have to pull that out over the weekend and get it checked. I can not see
any evidence of a leak anywhere under the hood. The water pump seems
nice and quiet, by the way, and the belt tensions seems about right. Is
there anywhere else some of the coolant I've had to add could be going
(other than the heater core)? I wonder if the radiator could have
plugged up even with the Gano filter.  If the heater core is leaking a
bit, would that affect the operation of the overflow tank? Also, I
wonder, since it's taking a bit longer to warm up in the morning, if
maybe the thermostat might be plugged. Is there a way to check that
without taking it out?

Steve Sage