Re: What about fraudulent TAC cars?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What about fraudulent TAC cars?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:15:32 -0500
At 01:47 PM 11/24/02 -0600, Stephen Waybright wrote:
>However well intentioned, I personally believe TAC causes more division
>within the Tiger community than it's worth, and that in itself hurts the
>value and collector appreciation of our cars far more than the very limited
>cases of Alger fraud that occur. For evidence, refer to the amount of list
>traffic this has generated.

I agree, completely.  TAC is foolish and idiotic.  It is so
self-contradictory as to be impossible of implementation.

Let wiser heads prevail!

This is, in the end, a grey universe.  We really should accept ambiguities,
rather than attempt artificial divisions.  This is not an area of great
interest to me, but I understand that the "official" list of Tiger body
serial numbers is being held in confidence?  If so, that is the most
contraproductive thing I can imagine, and fie on those who would be so
foolish!

The whole issue is a whoof! without a reason.  Accuracy depends on the
item, not on some certification from self-certified folks with grand egos
and little knowledge.

I bought my Alpine in '72.  I traced the title and had the three previous
owners appear before me.  Under a full moon, I made them swear that my car
was not a converted Tiger, and they did so swear.  I did not accept their
word alone, of course.  I contacted six Rootes workers in the UK (well,
four;  two had immigrated, one to Canada and another to New Zealand, but,
damn!, I ran them down.  Fortunately, all had maintained a register of
every body that they had ever worked upon.)  And all swore that my car had
begun life as an Alpine.

What more could I wish?  But this TAC stuff is now engendering an AAC
movement and, alas!, my paperwork is in disarray!

I am in great fear that, should I decide to sell my car, that I now must
list it as something other than what it really is, an Alpine V.  Should I
list it as a Tiger?  Hell, no!  My car has the proper number of cylinders!
Should I list it as a Humber?  Alas, no, one of the major errors of the
First Baron Rootes was in not acknowledging the Alpines as Humbers ...

Give me a break.  A car is a car.  And, of course, caveat emptor.  And,
pray, I hope Tiger owners will swallow their greed.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!