Re: Sorry, but I have to comment (TAC)

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Sorry, but I have to comment (TAC)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:48:31 -0700
Hi Tom,

I've been following your restoration progress over the last couple of years
through the list, and I totally understand your position in trying to validate
the work you're doing. Like you, when I started seriously looking for Tigers I
contacted Norm Miller about a car I was looking at. He explained the history of
that car and steered me to Larry Atkisson, who gave me more information, and we
set up a meeting. I didn't buy that car, but came away very impressed by the
knowledge of both Larry and Norm, and appreciative of their efforts in helping
us Tiger newbies. When I did buy a Tiger it was one that Larry thought he know
of, but as it turned out it was a different car. Based on my own reading and on
comparing my car to an Alpine shell I had, I'd come to my own conclusions about
my Tiger, and I later had the car TAC'ed at SUNI III. My Tiger was built in late
1966, I bought it in 1998, and the previous owner had it for nine years. That
leaves from 1967 to 1989 of unaccounted-for history. Some of it I can see from
inspection of the underside of the car, but there's still lots of untold stuff,
and having the car TAC'ed filled in some interesting information, both for me
and for the TAC guys. Since the car was not previously entered in the Tiger
registry, I was able to confirm some stuff for Norm as well, and that amounts to
a tiny repayment of the information he has passed my way.
The TAC process is intended primarily to be a validation of the chassis origin
for the owner. Like you say, you (and I) are missing large parts of the history
of our cars, and for that reason the TAC is a great service, provided by people
that have made the preservation of Tiger history a part of their life. There are
some fortunate people who own a Tiger whose history they can unquestionably
confirm, and they do NOT need TAC to tell them that their car is indeed a Tiger,
because they either were there for the whole thing, or there are other
circumstances which prove the car's authenticity. So when some people come along
and tell them "We won't believe your car is a Tiger unless you get it TAC'ed", I
can totally understand why they'd be miffed and take their frustrations out on
TAC.
The TAC program was begun by some of the most knowledgeable Tiger owners in the
SF Bay area. If these people had just been "arrogant self-appointed individuals
of limited knowledge", or
"self appointed spoilers", the program would have never got off the ground. The
Tiger community at large (at least initially on the West Coast) has accepted the
expertise of these individuals and TAC is slowly gaining acceptance through the
rest of North America.
At SUNI III, it was announced by the TAC committee that TAC inspections would be
available if you were interested. The committee didn't say "If you don't we're
going to whisper things behind your back". On this mailing list, several TAC
sessions have been announced and well-received, by all reports. Again, no one
has come back from it saying "Didya hear that so-and-so didn't get their car
TAC'ed? Must be an Alger..." And that's primarily because TAC is supposed to be
a private inspection of your car by some marque experts, not a public trial of
your integrity. You submit your car if you want to know, what some experts think
of your bodyshell's origins.

In summary: TAC is good if you need to have your chassis' origins verified. TAC
peer pressure is stupid.

Theo