Re: PASSING

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PASSING
From: PMM4259@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:32:59 EST
Norm and others,
I first met Laura and Ian Garrad somewhere around the fall of 1967 when their
8 year old son Stuart and I shared the same classroom at Castle Heights
Elementary School.
Stuart and I had many of the same classes and afterschool activities such as
Little League. Around that time another kid moved into the neighborhood from
an area called Beverlywood. Stuart and I lived in a suburb called Cheviot
Hills, the next town over. This new kid had really nice parents as well.
Their names were Arnie and Connie Schoenfeld. Their sons name was Howie.
Together Stuart, Howie myself and some other neighborhood kids played on
Cavendish Dr. where Stuart and Howie lived just houses from one another.
Stuart's dad Ian ran a Sunbeam dealership on the southwest corner of Pico and
Roxbury.
All of us would ride our bikes over there and look at the cars.
If only I knew then what I know now.
Both Staurts parents and Howie's parents were incredible. We often got
together after school functions or Little League games. Howie and I stayed
close friends until his tragic death. Stuart and I lost contact after he
changed schools in high school. I last saw him at Howie Schoenfeld's funeral.
I spoke with Laura Garrad at length two years ago at Tigers United. I told
her how her husband and Howie had both inspired me to become a Sunbeam Tiger
owner.
We reminisced for awhile about Castle Heights Elementary, Cheviot Hills and
some of the old gang  and then she was off.
Like, Ian and Howie and now Laura, another part of my childhood is gone.
She was a great lady. My condolences to her family.
Peter Margolis