Re: Steering wheel resto

To: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel resto
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:49:20 -0500
Hi Erich.  Por-15 has a repair kit for black steering wheel plastic.  I did
not use it on mine as the plastic insert was complete....On an earlier
e-mail you mentioned a splinter in the grain. I found a glue for tight
places at Loews. Grizzly Glue will penetrate the entire splinter and swells
to about 400% of original volume with the introduction of water. This
happens slowly enough that the splinter can be wrapped with blue masking
tape and a uniform pressure applied to the splinter with a 3/4 " hose clamp.
The next day the repair can be cleaned up with sandpaper.  When the old
varnish is removed the dark patina goes with it. My wood finished blonde in
color and the black insert really stands out.  Good luck with the project
and if you use the Por-15 product successfully for the insert, please let
the list know....I don't think this has come up before . Robin