Update on my collector car insurance claim

To: "The List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on my collector car insurance claim
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:40:24 -0800
Listers,

Back on October 4th I was hit while driving my Tiger. The right front fender
and apron was completely destroyed in the accident. There was also some damage
to the door, valance, cowl, rocker and right rear quarter.

Update:
The car has been at the shop (Dales) since the first week in November.
Yesterday I finally got confirmation that the appraiser, adjuster and shop are
all in agreement on how much money its going to take to fix the car. Now I'm
waiting on the check. BTW, Dale has stored the car inside for me while all
this has transpired.

This process has taken quite a long time, I think in part because the
insurance company, based in New Jersey, has to hire an independent adjuster
from the southern California area. Because the adjuster is located in the Los
Angeles area and the car was at my house near San Diego, the adjuster hired a
third party appraiser to make the original damage appraisal. Once I hauled the
car to Dales in San Bernadino and had him make an estimate, which was higher
than the original appraisers, the San Diego based appraiser had to be
contacted...... You starting to get the picture?

Its been a bit of a hassle so far. A larger company may have had a less
convoluted way of handling this, I don't know.

There was not a lot of organized communication going on between the adjuster
and appraiser until I contacted my agents office and complained. Within 15
minutes of me hanging up she had chewed the appropriate parties a new one, and
we had an agreement everyone could live with.

The company I am insured with is American Collectors. They were recommended by
USAA, who I have had great service from, but USAA wouldn't insure the Tiger.

I'll keep you all informed.

M. Sutter