Jacks?

To: "panteras" <detomaso@realbig.com>
Subject: Jacks?
From: "D. E. Adin" <adin@frontier.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:08:14 -0700
Someone had asked about floor jacks - specifically the Harbor Freight (US
General) "Aluminum Racing Jack" so . . . .

On the left, we have the challenger, Harbors US General Aluminum Racing Jack
(ARJ)
http://images.fotki.com/v10/photos/4/43175/147329/topview-vi.jpg

On the right is the AR DK20Q (my first choice) - read about it here:
http://www.shopquip.com/acdk20q.htm

I chose the DK20Q because: 1) cheaper than the 13Q and 2) shorter and I
thought storage would be an issue.  If the Jack stays home, and you have the
room go for the longer DK13Q.

Here we see the challenge:
http://images.fotki.com/v11/photos/4/43175/147329/jackfaceoff-vi.jpg

getting the rear of a Pantera in the air.  One wants to lift from the side
when changing wheels ~ this is the longest reach with the least clearance.

My Pantera has the Hall jack pads so clearance in the front is just a little
more than 3.5", in the rear a touch less than 3.5".

the $200 ARJ in action
http://images.fotki.com/v10/photos/4/43175/147329/geninaction-vi.jpg

and the <$300 DK20Q in action
http://images.fotki.com/v11/photos/4/43175/147329/dk20qinaction-vi.jpg

Notice the ARJ does the job, but I'm sure it would dent the rocker panel
without the utmost care.  The ARJ, by the way is about 35lbs vs. the DK20Qs
65lbs.  Not something to drag around.
The ARJ uses one aluminum roller for front wheels - I stretched a chunk of
intertube over this to make it a little quieter - don't know if its worth
the time or not.

You pays your money and takes your choice.  Sorry it took so long.

David (Durango)
D. E. Adin, Photographer
adin@frontier.net
1973 Pantera (Ford V8, no waiting)