LAT Hood Fresh Ram air induction project

To: "Tiger News Group List (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: LAT Hood Fresh Ram air induction project
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:53:27 -0500
Listers,
I started working on the fresh air induction box for my LAT Hood or for
stock hoods with an added Cobra type scoop after being inspired by Larry
Paulick's cool functional Cowl Induction. I have started the lower base
plate and found that I can increase the hood clearance to the air filter
assembly lid by utilizing a replacement bottom. It looks like it will permit
another half inch to three quarters of an inch of air filter element. I also
had a number of old 3 and 4 inch K&N elements left over from my racing days
in Canada and found that a standard 14 inch air filter element will actually
fit into the stock air cleaner base and lid. This opens the options up for
air filter sizing. I feel that the original element that is supplied from
K&N is just too short and is likely restrictive. I want to finish it to try
the new assembly on the dyno with a larger element and compare the factory
assembly with a K&N and with a taller air filter. If the results are the
same as the change from a 2 inch to a 3 inch filter on a 350 Chevy it should
be good for a few HP (10 approx) on a Tiger too.
I have some questions for all:
1)      While I am making this does anyone else want one as well? I could
easily make a couple of extras at the same time but really would like to
firm up a count as I just barely covered costs doing the air dams and block
offs. (I still have 8 or so left if those of you who delayed would like one
as I do not know if we will do another production run yet) I am not sure if
I want to fund$$$ a production run again but might consider a few as a hobby
type project for those really interested.
2)      OR, Is there interest in just a new base assembly for Holley carbs
to run a fatter filter with the stock lid and a Holley carb.
3)      Which would be more desirable ... sheet metal (This I can weld) or
sheet aluminum (I have to pay someone or buy/borrow a TIG) construction. I
am leaning towards sheet metal as I can weld it and then powder coat it semi
Gloss Black.
4)      Would people rather just have a dimensional drawing set of plans or
templates to make their own? It will be for sophisticated fabricators though
as it will likely require complex cuts, bends and welding.
5)      Is there interest in a RAM Air set up for stock hoods with minor
cutting?

I am making mine for a RPM performer manifold and a 750 CFM Holley and the
test fit had about 1 inch to the hood with the stock height air filter
assembly. So far the assembly looks kinda cool and is being fashioned to
seal to the hood scoop and prevent warm air from entering the carb from the
engine bay. It has the entire filter assembly inside the air box and the box
fits around all of the under hood components, distributor and heater hoses
very well. I am on the road now but hope to finish it in a week or so. Well
... UHH ... that's the plan.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (425) 955-6268
Cell: (949) 289-3357
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy,
forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without
permission of the sender.