Non-Tiger - But Interesting

To: "Tiger List (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-Tiger - But Interesting
From: "Peter Stanisavljevich" <pete_stanisavljevich@coxtarget.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:05:01 -0500
Listers,

Have a interesting situation with my daily ride, maybe somebody on the list
has an explanation, because I certainly don't.

I have an '84 Toyota Supra, bought new and that now has 182K miles on it.
Recently, it started using a lot of oil, a quart every two weeks during the
routine 24 mile daily commute. The car had never leaked or burned oil, but a
glance in the rearview mirror when pulling away from a stop light told me
where the oil was going. A black sooty tailpipe confirmed it.

This was going on for a few weeks, with me thinking it's the end of the road
for the old warhorse. Then the original water pump failed. The temperature
gauge never showed anything abnormal, the pump didn't leak coolant but just
had the bearing fail making it very noisy.

I replaced the water pump (the old pump impellor was intact), and doing so
also seemed to have solved the oil consumption problem. No smoke at stop
lights and the oil level hasn't moved for a month. Tailpipe a nice clean
chocolate brown again

Can anybody tell me how these two events can be related?

Peter S.
B9471799