soft top frame restoration questions

To: "Tiger List \(E-mail\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: soft top frame restoration questions
From: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@cox-internet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:34:51 -0600
I've started restoring the soft top frame, and I have the usual dilemma,
with the only Tiger in town, I have nothing with which to compare.  I've got
numerous questions, so here goes (all my numbers refer to those in the Parts
Manual, under Body Fittings - From Series III, Plate D - Section YX):

225 (Hood Frame) is shown as a single part.  Does this mean that the
pivoting bar can't (or shouldn't) be removed for repainting?

246 (Spring) weren't on mine when I took it apart.  The book says there is a
left and right spring, but both of mine look the same.  Are they different?
I assume they fit in the hole in 243 and hook around 244.  Is that right?

247 (Tension Cable) is broken on one side and missing on the other.
Obviously, I've lived without it for years.  Does it do anything really
useful?  I don't understand it's function.

Best way to remove ancient contact cement?  3M Adhesive and Tar Remover
works, but not without effort.

Best source for my missing parts?  I also need a left side 243 (Tension
Rod), as the small treaded end for 238 is broken off.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Pickard
B9473298
Lafayette, LA