RE: Alger or V8 Alpine?

To: "'Rich Atherton'" <aka.gumby@gte.net>, <SBtigerVince@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Alger or V8 Alpine?
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:35:15 -0800
Rich,

Im positive that the Ford small block is actually 2 or more inches
narrower than the 215/3500 V8.  Also, depending on the source, some also
report the Buick/Rover motor to be slightly taller than the Ford.  I
agree that the 215 Buick and the Rover evolutions are nice motors but
they are not necessarily smaller depending on where you measure and that
could really foul things up in a swap.

In stock configuration I have seen numbers to support that the 215 V8 is
~140 lbs lighter than the Ford but with aluminum heads and intake on the
Ford you can severely cut into that weight differential.

The horsepower potential of the Rover variants is pretty damn good with
displacements from the factory up to 4.6L.  The Buick/Rover motor can be
bored and stroked to reach displacements over 5.0L.  That being said,
the amount of speed goodies, hot rodding knowledge available and
therefore the ultimate HP potential of the Ford motor kicks ass on the
Buick/Rover motor big time.

I'd also expect the HP/$$ ratio of the Ford motor to be a lot lower than
the Buick/Rover motor!

Frank