Re: speedometer gears

To: geowiz@cox-internet.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: speedometer gears
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:31:12 EST
Jim

I'm running the same size tires on LAT 9's.  But tires of
the same size differ among manufactures.  My tires are
Dunlop's.  I found that changing the gears is a simple
and easy way to adjust the reading.  Each tooth up will
drop the reading 3 to 4 mph at 60 mph.  I found that a
17 tooth was almost perfect.  Your local Ford dealer
should carry these gears over the counter for less than
$10 a gear.  Keep your original 15 tooth gear as they
are no longer available.  Perhaps you could retire by
selling it on Ebay.  Several of the Mustang restro places
sell these gears too.

Changing the gear is simple and described on the
TigersUnited.  A lift makes it really simple.  A long
extension (about 18 inches) or combinations can be
slipped through the frame to reach the hold down bolt.
Undo the bold and pull the cable with attached gear.
Undo the ciraclip hold the gear to the cable.  Swap the
gear and reinstall.

Good Luck.

Dave Johnson