289/302 Conversions

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 289/302 Conversions
From: gharlowe@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:00:10 -0500
The last post got me wondering how many folks installed 6-bolt 289s or 302s,
but kept their 5-bolt 4 speed.   I'm close to pulling my 260 as part of the
resto teardown.  I would rebuild it, but the devil has me thinking that if the
money's going to be spent, should it really be spent on a 140 hp 260?   From
the cyl head id discussion, it sounds like tweaks to the 260 are limited other
than going the F4B/4bbl and header route.  Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm SURE this has been covered, but can the list describe some of the
challenges to a 289/302 conversion?  Adapter plates are available (cost?
sources?)...but if you install the adapter plate, what else needs to be
modified?   How rare are 5-bolt 289s?

Is that same devil going to be whispering, "Get a T5"?

Thanks for your thoughts...

- Graham