Re: LAT 8 valve covers

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LAT 8 valve covers
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:23:19 -0600
Hi Joe,

I have a set of old 'COBRA' valve covers and after seeing a set done up on a
local Mustang I decided to copy what that guy did. I stripped most of the old
krinkle finish off using chemical stripper, then sanded the remaining stuff down
until the surface was smooth, then polished the sides, the ribs, and the
lettering. I repainted the insides of the ribs black. This gives a look that's
similar to the original chromed valve covers except that you do get the
lettering etc. on top, and the black/polished aluminum matched the way I did up
my alternator. I'll try and get a picture out in the next little bit. I didn't
clearcoat anything - the aluminum will be easy enough to re-polish from time to
time.

I used Fel-Pro cork gaskets with the steel insert rings on the bolt holes, and
3/4" long Allen screws with stainless washers. That is probably not a stellar
combination because the stainless steel and aluminum will eventually cause
electrolytic corrosion of the aluminum under the washers. Maybe I'll have to
make some aluminum washers...

Theo