Wheels

To: "Tigers (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheels
From: Bennett Cullen-R51465 <Cullen.Bennett@Motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:09:46 -0700
Hi to all,
I checked the tire size this weekend to be sure, since it's been too long for
trivia in the memory cells, They are 195-60R14.
Several folk have asked to see a picture of them. Steve has a photo (last one
in the article) on the Tigers United site for easy viewing. It is
http://www.tigersunited.com/articles/cb-alrad/alrad9.asp
The "V" insert is a round piece of steel approximately 1" in diameter which is
flat on one side and the other is a concave surface that slopes at the same
angle as a lug nut exterior. It has a clearance hole through the center  that
the lug bolt passes through. The hemispherical lug hole (stock Porsche) on the
wheel, is bored out to a counterbored hole with step shoulder that gets the
steel piece pressed into it. This just gives a nice hard mating surface that
the lug nut can seat on. It is prcision machined to give proper "centering" of
the wheel.
Just a point of reference, Before mounting tires on these wheels, I mounted
each wheel, on the right front hub, one at a time and slowly rotated them by
hand used a dial indicator against the wheel edge to check for "wobble". Out of
the five wheels that were machined and measured, the worst case "wobble" was on
the order of +/- 0.002 ". Several of them were less than this value. I was very
happy to see this degree of accuracy, especially, in factory wheels. I'm fairly
sure the molded rubber in the tire is nowhere close to this accuracy.
Cullen Bennett (B9472658) Tempe Arizona