Re: Instrument lights (LONG)

To: rfraser@bluefrog.biz
Subject: Re: Instrument lights (LONG)
From: hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:09:26 +1000
Ron,

Most of the replies were from Alpine listers and were posted to list as well as
to me, however some Alpine listers probably can't post to Tiger list.  So here
is a summary:

The original post I remembered was from Paul Almjjeld who had replaced the
bulbs in his Alpine with lamps from Radio Shack, here's what he said in
September 2002

> Radio Shack has available a screw base lamp rated at
> > 14.4 volts, 200 mA that is an easy replacement for those dim original bulbs.
> > The Radio Shack #1487 lamps come packaged in pairs and can be found hanging
> > in the bulb display area of your local RS store.  They carry a 1.4MSCP
> > brightness label and are rated at an average life of 30 hours. They provide
> > improved illumination without so much brightness as to be annoying.  I have
> > replaced all the
> > original bulbs in my Series V.  For evening or night driving they are a
> > significant improvement
> > over the originals.

Paul added to his original post that he now has over 50 hours on the bulbs
without failure.  Hal Jean posted

>  I had several E Mail's concerning the 5w halogen lights that I got at LB Car
>company.  They have worked fine with no problems.
>
> Jeff at LB Car suggested 10 watt for the tach and speedo and 5 watt for the
>balance, but I used 5w for all with good results.

and Jim Boynton said

> I'm trying a 1487 lamp made by Sylvania  (Sylvania part #37017). I have
> another reference from an earlier list mail if you want it.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks again to all who responded including those
I have not mentioned here.

Vic