Trunk piece question

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunk piece question
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 18:27:51 -0500
Hi, all:

I'm in the process of freshening up my trunk this spring and have run across a
piece that is broken and, unfortunately, I don't have a replacement for it.  I
am in need of one (maybe two...see below) of the jack handle clips that secure
the jack handle to the floor of the trunk.  My car has two that hold the jack
handle in place and one of them has one ear completely broken off.  Can anyone
help me out there?

Speaking of the jack handle, I'd also like some input on the correct
arrangement for the jack and handle in the trunk.  I've seen the pics of trunk
floors in TBON, but my jack and handle are not arranged like that.  The jack
handle on my car is mounted with the open lug end facing the main barrell of
the jack and with the curved center part up closer to the battery.  In other
words, just flipped from the jack handles pictured on pages 154 & 155 in TBON.
Also, my jack handle is only held by two clips; the pics in TBON clearly show
three clips per jack handle.  Maybe I'm really in need of two more clips to go
with the good one I have.  Were all the clips that hold the jack handle the
same size?  I also just now stepped out to look at my car and discovered that
my jack is also mounted exactly backward from the jacks mentioned in the pics
above, with the foot of the jack next to the right side trunk rail and the
part of the jack that goes in the car when you use it is facing forward almost
to the battery.  What's up with that?  My car is a late mid-production Mk 1A,
serial #B382001600 if that helps.  Were Mk 1As different from Mk 1s in the way
all this stuff mounted?  There are no holes in the trunk floor that would
indicate that my jack and handle ever mounted the way they do in the cars
mentioned above, which were pictured in TBON.  All I can say is that I'm
confused.  HELP!!!!

On a side note, thanks to everyone who responded to me a while back regarding
the correct color for the stock wheels on a Tiger.  Based on that info, I
called "Tower Paint" in Oshkosh, WI, <www.towerpaint.com> and ordered a couple
of custom aerisol cans of "Foam Gray" (Rootes color code "8").  I sprayed the
back of the spare wheel satin black and then shot the front with the Foam
Gray, allowing the overspray to slightly fog the black on the inside of the
wheel.  It turned out perfectly (if you can call overspray perfect!).  The
anal side of me wanted to mask off the wheel openings when I sprayed the Foam
Gray but I didn't since the folks who "know" told me not to since the factory
didn't.  Anyway, it looks great!  A big thanks to everyone who responded!

I'll be looking forward to reading info on the jack handle clips.  Thanks in
advance for any help.

Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE