Re: Steering question

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering question
From: "Gary Winblad" <garywinblad@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:16:55 -0700
Mark,
I once had a similar situation.
My problem turned out to be the fact that I had bolted on the steering
rack while the front of the car was off the ground.  The flex in the
crossmember
caused the rack to flex just enough when the car was back on the ground
to cause the rack to bind excessively.  Simple fix, go out and loosen all 4
of the rack attachment bolts while the car is on the ground and then
re-tighten
them.  You may have to pull the radiator.
On the other hand, it does take new ball joints a number of miles to free
up, I know because mine still seems tight with not enough steering
self-centering
after several years.  Also, who ever went through your rack may have made
it extra-tight.
Gary