RE: JunkYard Wars - Thrills

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: JunkYard Wars - Thrills
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:02:48 -0600
This show has been running for about four years on TLC, and seven
seasons on the BBC. Junkyard Wars is the americanized name for the
British show, called Scrapheap Challenge, and it's the brainchild of
Cathy Rogers. The show was originally put together as a
pseudo-educational program (they take the time to explain the scientific
principles behind what each team is building) but it's a hoot to watch.
The first couple of seasons were filmed exclusively in the UK, and
featured two teams of three contestants, plus an 'expert', who would
then each try to build some mechanical thing to beat out the other team.
I think it was in the third season that they added a second junkyard
site in California, and had the two shows (junkyard wars and scrapheap
challenge) running in parallel, and then had a UK vs US showdown at the
end. This year they've added three-way challenges, some marathon 20-hour
build sessions, and Cathy Rogers also had the other three-way automotive
madness show "Full Metal Challenge" in production.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/junkyard/junkyard.html

It's worth catching these shows, and if I had the time I'd be in line to
be a contestant.

Theo