Jacks, Rivets, etc.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Jacks, Rivets, etc.
From: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:13:30 -0400
Hello All:
I discovered the hard way that the jacking arrangement is less than optimum.
When you jack the Tiger in the front, the bottom of the jack has a tendency
to "walk" sideways as the car is raised, thus exerting a torque on the jacking
tube, which can cause it to twist.  Not a good thing.  Since I have a couple
of jacks, I have on occasion raised the whole front of the car with the two
and
discovered that the arrangement leaves a lot to be desired in terms of lateral
stability and probably had something to do with the beginnings of a twist in
the tubes.  I don't do that any more.  As Dylan said "Ah, but I was so much
older then, I'm younger than that now."

As far as rivets go, I know the rivets on my car are original, since I have
owned
it since Day One.  They have small holes in the center which do not go all the
way through and appear somewhat smaller than the center pin in an ordinary
pop rivet and the overall profile of the head is different as well.  I
would guess
that the fact that they originated in England would be enough to explain the
differences.  Enough to make them different enough from an American rivet
to spot easily.  The one thing that does intrigue me about my car, however,
is that it lacks the spec plate mentioned by several contributors to this
thread and there is no evidence on the scuttle that it ever had one.  Is any
one else missing the spec plate?  My car is a pretty late MkIA (382002384),
born on August 25, 1966 - could that have anything to do with it?  Do the
Mk II's have the spec plate?

Tod