Authentication verification--how to create a tiger out of thin

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Authentication verification--how to create a tiger out of thin
From: VegasLegal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:43:57 -0400
Well I appear to have way too much time on my hands, ya'll keep raising
questions that I never thought about before, and probably should ignore now.
Additionally, the information provided here will likely be looked upon by some
as sacrilege.

That being said, I am not for a moment subscribing to the following, or for
that matter, alluding that it is appropriate.  Rather, STOA through TAC and
others are ready, willing and able to verify the authenticity of a vehicle by
their standards, and wary buyers will continue to keep authenticity and
originality as the hallmarks of our hobby.

I have had my curiosity piqued re:  What do you need to register a car as a
Tiger, how to create an Alger legally badged as a Tiger, and other sundry
thoughts from a legal perspective.

Below (after my sign-off) appear two "Rebuild Applications" for getting titles;
one from Texas and one from Georgia.  I have gone to the trouble of answering
the Georgia questions to demonstrate that little of a car is needed in order
for the title to survive.  In the case referenced, all that is left is the
engine and transmission.

The scenereo is as follows.  The purchaser acquires a title to a wrecked or
rusted out hulk historically bearing the Tiger provenence.  He then buys an
Alpine on a bill of sale (or on a title and a bill of sale).  The front of the
Tiger suspension is saved because, 1)It is necessary and 2)It allows the
purchaser to indicate that only a part of the frame came from a donor or
component car.

The new "Tiger" is then pieced together as follows:  Engine, tranny, old tunnel
and front suspension are transplanted to the Alpine. The Vin plate is removed
from the Tiger and placed upon the top of the firewall in on the Alpine.

The car is then taken down to the local DMV with the Tiger title, the Alpine
bill of sale, and the rebuild application.  Following an integrity and safety
inspection, a replacement title is issued with the Tiger Vin #.  Voila.

This procedure contrasts with merely rebadging an Alpine and putting a Tiger
tag on it in that the imprimitur of the State law is added to the title in a
legal fashion.  For example, it appears that that obvious Alger on E-Bay may be
legally advertised as a Tiger if something akin to the above procedure was
followed.  In the eyes of the law, IT IS A TIGER.

I researched various state statutes, and while this procedure might not be
available everywhere (e.g., VT does not title vehicles over fifteen years old)
it appears viable.

After the process, the "Tiger" is a "Tiger" in the eyes of the law of the
titling jurisdiction, and once that title is in hand, the vehicle should be
able to move from state to state under the full faith and credit clause of the
constitution.  I.e., Nevada could not (and in any event, would not) destroy
Texas's Tiger designation.  (They don't necessarily have to, but it appears
that states readily accept other states' titles.

Again, I am not subscribing to the procedure, and these cars should not
approach the desirability or authenticity of "real" Tigers.  But the protection
is up to the market and the active clubs, and the law is not there to help.

The actual lawyer red-necked ignorant desert rat in LAS vegas (see mayf's
earlier sign-off).

Bob Nersesian
B382000975LRXFE

REBUILD APPLICATIONS:
T-129 (Rev. 1/02)
Georgia Department of Motor Vehicle Safety
Motor Vehicle Services
Labor and Parts Certification
This is to certify that I, repaired the following described vehicle or had the
vehicle repaired by:
(Name)
(Name and Address)
(Year Model) (Make of Vehicle) (Vehicle Identification Number)
and that this vehicle was rebuilt in Georgia in accordance with O.C.G.A.
40-3-37 (b)(1). Listed below are the identification
number(s) from which the used parts were taken (List when applicable)
Location of parts vehicle(s):
Were two or more major component parts* used to restore this vehicle? (x ) Yes
( ) No
*Major component part means any one of the following subassemblies of a motor
vehicle: (A) Front clip assembly (Fenders,
hood and bumper); (B) Rear clip assembly (Quarter panels and floor panel
assembly); (C) Engine and transmission; (D) Top
with the exception of soft tops; (E) Frame; (F) Complete side (fender, door,
and quarter panel).
Is the applicant a Georgia licensed rebuilder? ( ) Yes (x ) No
If yes, please record your Statebs License Number and the year of
issue:______________________________________________
(Georgia License Number and Year of Issue)
Was this vehicle damaged in shipment and disclaimed by the manufacturer? ( )
Yes (x ) No
Check the parts replaced in repair of this vehicle:
Please check one
(More if applicable)
(x ) Front Bumper (x ) Deck Lid ( ) Windshield
(x ) Grille (x ) Rear Body Panel (x ) Floor Pan
(x ) Left Fender ( ) Rear Bumper ( ) P/U Cab
(x ) Right Fender ( ) Right Rear Quarter Panel ( ) P/U Bed
( ) Hood (x ) Right Rear Door or Skin ( ) Left Cab Corner b P/U
( ) Radiator Support (x ) Right Front Door or Skin ( ) Right Cab Corner b P/U
(x ) Left Inner Fender/Apron (x ) Roof Skin or Assembly ( ) Back Cab Panel
(x ) Right Inner Fender/Apron ( ) Engine (x ) Interior (x ) Other..TRUNK FLOOR
(x ) Left Front Door or Skin ( ) Transmission ( ) Wheel/Tires
( ) Left Rear Door or Skin ( ) Frame (x ) Dash Pad
( ) Left Rear Quarter Panel (x ) Frame Section ( ) Header Panel
( ) Air Bag & Sensors

( ) I purchased the vehicle in repaired condition from:
(Name) (Address)

Reason vehicle was rebuilt:  Rusted out shell of a ghost of a survivor half
buried in the back field of a sugar beet farmer.
Sworn to and Subscribed before me this
Certification by Owner
The Day of ,
(Month) (Year)
To the best of my knowledge, the information contained herein is
true and correct. I understand that this vehicle cannot be sold or
transferred until a Certificate of Title has been issued in my name,
in compliance with Section 40-3-37 of the O.C.G.A.
(Signature of Notary Public)
(Signature of Owner) (Date)
(Date my Commission Expired)
Important: The information on this form must be legible. Alterations or
Erasures void this form. Please include
photographs of vehicle in a damaged condition per GA code 40-3-37, 7-1-90. Any
person who rebuilds or
repairs a salvage motor vehicle shall submit an application for Certificate of
Title and obtain an inspection of
such vehicle Prior to the painting of such vehicle.

AFFIDAVIT AND APPLICATION TO REGISTER AND TITLE A VEHICLE WHICH
HAS BEEN REBUILT, ASSEMBLED, RECONSTRUCTED, STRIPPED OR HAS
HAD A CHANGE IN COMPONENT PARTS
(TYPE OR PRINT INFORMATION)
YEAR
MODEL
MAKE
BODY STYLE
VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
DOCUMENT/TITLE # (IF SALVAGE CERTIFICATE ATTACHED)
Explanation by applicant as to what was done in relation to the assembling,
rebuilding, altering, etc., of the vehicle for which title is sought:
An authorized inspection station must inspect vehicle after vehicle has been
rebuilt.
(REBUILT) VEHICLE INSPECTION STICKER NUMBER EXPIRATION DATE
IF THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN REBUILT OR ASSEMBLED FROM COMPONENT PARTS, COMPLETE THE
FOLLOWING INFORMATION.
COMPONENT PART ORIGIN OF COMPONENT PARTS/PURCHASED FROM:
Attach evidence of ownership
(bill of sale and/or title)
NAME ADDRESS CITY, STATE, ZIP
(REQUIRED)
COMPONENT PART NUMBER
ENGINE
FRAME
BODY
*SPECIFY LOCATION OF COMPONENT PARTS REPLACED: RIGHT (RT) LEFT (L) FRONT (F)
REAR (R) RIGHT FRONT (RT F) LEFT FRONT (L F) RIGHT REAR (R R) LEFT REAR (L R)
COMPONENT PART ORIGIN OF COMPONENT PARTS/PURCHASED FROM:
Submit any bills of sale for
component parts (if available)
NAME ADDRESS CITY, STATE, ZIP
(IF AVAILABLE)
COMPONENT PART NUMBER
TRANSMISSION
FRONT FENDER(S) H
HOOD
DOOR(S) H
BUMPER(S) H
DECK LID
QUARTER PANEL(S) H
TAILGATE/HATCHBACK
PICKUP CARGO BOX
TRUCK CAB
Before me, the undersigned authority, personally appeared the affiant whose
name is subscribed hereto, and being duly sworn, deposes and upon oath states
that he is the legal and rightful owner of the
vehicle described above and that he purchased or came into possession of all
the component parts in a legal and lawful manner and in accordance with
provisions of Transportation Code B'501.092.
OWNERbS NAME
MAILING ADDRESS Subscribed and sworn to before me this day of , year
CITY, STATE, ZIP
NOTARY SEAL
OWNERbS SIGNATURE
COUNTY, TEXAS NOTARY PUBLIC SIGNATURE
WARNING! TRANSPORTATION CODE B'501.155 PROVIDES THAT FALSIFYING INFORMATION ON
ANY REQUIRED DOCUMENT IS A THIRD-DEGREE FELONY.
Texas
of Transportation
Department
Form VTR-61 (Rev. 3/2000)