Re: Upholstery--step by step seat bottom.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Upholstery--step by step seat bottom.
From: JParlanti@genelogic.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:58:06 -0400
I've just finished the first of my seat bottoms as well. My seats are of
the early strap type so the restoration sequence is significantly
different. Martha Wheat of Pro Prep Interiors has been coaching me through
the process which has been extremely helpful. In turn, I'm  writing an
article for the Tigers Untied site. In regards to gluing the cover down,
Martha instructed me to spread a 1.5" wide strip of glue around the inside
perimeter of the pleated portion of the cover, and the matching area of
the foam cushion. I then glued the 2 together and let sit overnight before
stretching the cover over the sides. Martha says at this point you're
finished with the glue and the cover is held on strictly by the clips. I
used medium-sized binder clips available at office supply stores to
initially pull everything down, and then went back stretching each area
one more time and installing the original clips. She also recommended
sitting the seat in the sun to soften the cover up before starting the
stretching process. Since we haven't seen the sun in 2 months around here,
I used a halogen lamp which worked OK. On to the seat backs ...

Joe Parlanti
B382000026