Re: Austin Healy "Alper"??

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Austin Healy "Alper"??
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:18:15 -0700
Steve Laifman wrote:

> Ever hear of a "Genuine 1967 Austin Healy Sebring Mk-II" in showroom
> condition. It apparently has the original wide fender flares, a 5 spd
> automatic (???) "Camaro T-5 transmission, and the original 350 CID
> Chevvy engine, 327 heads, and 325 HP. Oh yes, a Mustang II front
> suspension and Ford type rear suspension.
>
> [See "Image 5"] on
> http://insiderslist.com/viewads/viewads.cgi?AD_NUMBER=AM2024
>
> Now, I wonder what kind of rivets it has? <9-)
>
> Only $18,500 USD (Located in Quebec).  Want to take any bets on
> whether the body is the "original showroom" fiberglass???
>
> See, Watch the Skies. We are not alone!!!!
>
> Steve

Steve:
These are actually pretty cool cars. The way the car is described by the
seller is bogus, of course. No such thing as a 67 Sebring MKII. The
Sebring is a current Austin Healy "repro", and the company that makes
them makes no claim whatsoever that they are actually Healys. You can
buy (or could, I don't know if they're still in business) one completed
by the factory, exactly to your specifications, or buy a kit to do
yourself. I've seen a couple in person and the fit and finish is very
good, plus it has all the modern conveniences you want. It looks pretty
close to the original Austin Healy in shape, but with flares and big
wheels and tires it looks a lot meaner than the original, for better or
worse. It's a pretty impressive looking car in person. Of course, they
should have used Sunbeam, I mean Ford engines, instead of the Chevy, and
the cars would even be better!

Steve Sage

Steve Sage