Re: Using The Crank To Start A Tiger

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Using The Crank To Start A Tiger
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:42:05 -0700
Steve,
   Having just replaced my front clip I too contemplated the very same
removal except in my case it was to mount an electric pusher fan. In the end
I decided not to because the clip I pulled out had that brace removed and
though I did not do the removal everything in that whole front area was very
bent and a warning as far as I was concern. In your case you may have no
choice though.
   A word of caution too about the "apparent" room in front of the radiator.
The hood makes a rather sharp slope and anything coming outward towards the
front of the car has to be move downward farther than you would think.  My
measurements showed roughly that for every inch you come outward that you
also had to move an inch downward. If say your condenser is 2" and your fan
3" then the outside edge of your fan will have to be about 5" lower than the
top of the radiator. This will likely have you cutting a bit into the flat
horizontal part of the valance.
  I would recommend before you cut anything you make a mock up out of
cardboard and trial fit it. I just spent two days making a lower shroud, ---
twice, because what looked like it would fit and everything that hit when I
positioned the crossmember/steering rack turned out to be two different
things.

  Also FYI, I spent to whole day in the S.F. Valley Pick A Parts trying to
track down the recommend electric fans that were recommended in the latest
Tiger cooling tests. However, even though I had the year and model listed I
found the blade count and/or or the overal size not consistant with any
listed in the article. Also most blade rotations of these fans were opposite
that of the Tiger. I don't know if that matters (I realize the radiator
likely "straightens" the air flow), but it seemed worth consideration.
   In the end I  just tried to apply common sense regarding max. size to
fit, similar blade rotation, ease of installation and selected a 11-3/4" X
3"  -  5 blade Mercedes fan with Tiger consistent blade rotation. The
mounting uses the very brace you are considering removing and the rest of
the mount can be made of 1/2" conduit. Sorry I can't provide any real
answers, but hopefully my experience will help you avoid a few pit falls.
 Tom Witt B9470101