Re: Distributor gear hassles.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor gear hassles.
From: Rob Guerra <tiger351w@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:47:42 -0700
I had a similar problem when I built my new motor.  However,  I sheared the
roll pin in the distributor gear a couple of times before it was corrected.

1.  Our assumptions:  the high volume pump with higher viscosity oil put a
big load on the pin.  So I changed the oil to 5w-30 and go the oil pressure
to drop into the reasonable range 50 at idle and 75 under normal load.

2.  We finally ended up shaving .010" off the bottom of the gear.  The
tolerance seemed to be too tight and was loading the gear up.  Once we did
this I have had no further problem.  It's been this way for the last 5K
miles or so.  I was shearing the pins  within 500 miles before.

The hole for your distributor gear might be off slightly from your old one,
but the tolerances would pass QA and still give you a problem

My .02 worth

Rob

66 Sunbeam Tiger (351 W)             64 Sunbeam Tiger (HiPo 289, Lord
Rootes Winner 2001)
65 Sunbeam Alpine (Rotary)       67 Mustang Fastback          98 Mustang
Cobra  # 4973

7 Month Tiger Restoration:
http://home.attbi.com/~tiger351w
My Mustangs: