One person X-member R&R

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: One person X-member R&R
From: stephen jones <joness@wsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:33:37 -0700
I have been putting off refitting my rebuilt X-member mainly because of
what I perceived as a major pain in the ass.  I had read all the tech tips
that ranged from using ropes to lowering the car unto the member to having
three people hold it up.  I finally thought I'd give a real low tech method
a try.  2X6's.  I slid it under the car and then put a couple of 2X6's
under the front center, then the same under the driver's side A arm then
over to the passenger side.  I continued the cycle until I was within an
inch of the frame.  at this point you can line up the holes with a
flashlight shining through from the bottom hole.   With the 2X6's there was
still plenty of room to get to the bolt holes from the front or the back.

It is not tippy at all because once it gets in the air the shock towers are
very close to the inner fender wells and it keeps it from moving much.  For
the initial lining up I put chalk marks on the member and the front bolt
holes on the frame.  This will keep you close.

It is very easy to lift it to slide the wood under as you are lifting and
tilting only a side at a time.  Also for the first few 2X6's I used some
that I had screwed together to give a more stable platform.  Just keep an
eye on them as it goes up to make sure they look steady.

I had the brakes etc off at the time to make it easier to work with.  You
don't have to lay under it at any time which is also a nice safe way to
work with it.

Total time with no help at all from start to finish was about 15 minutes
and it lined up first time I tried it.  I am sure this would work for
removal as well as you could just lower it right onto the 2X6's as you
loosen the bolts  then remove one at a time.

I am sure others have done this this way but I don't recall seeing it
written down anywhere.

steve jones B9470867