Red rubber grease and brake servos

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Red rubber grease and brake servos
From: "David Binkley" <dbinkley@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:40:25 -0700
I rebuilt the brake servo in my 65 Mark 1 two months ago.  Bought the $67
servo rebuild kit from Rick.  Here is a link to a page that has a scanned
copy of the servo rebuild kit instructions:

http://www.head2head.free-online.co.uk/Rover/servo_sheet.htm

This is from a site for older Rover's, which used the same servo.  These
instructions are exactly what were in the rebuild kit purchased from Rick.

The kit came with both red rubber grease and black molybdenum disulphide
grease.  As others have suggested, I let the seals in the kit soak in some
Girling LMA brake fluid before assembly to swell up a bit.  Per the
instructions, the red rubber grease (thin coat) is put on the output piston
seals and bore, on the control piston seals and bore, and on the vacum
piston rod.  The black molybdenum disulphide grease is used on the leather
seal of the vacum piston.

Dave