Torque versus horsepower

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Torque versus horsepower
From: <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:59:48 -0500
I always find this discussion interesting with people saying horsepower is
more important than torque or vice versa.  There are always arguments to back
one side or the other.  Personal visceral experience is something else.  I
suggest driving two fairly  equal cars and let your senses decide.  A couple
of years ago I had the occasion to drive a BMW M roadster and a Honda S2000
back to back and  torque wins out over horsepower for drivability and
performance.   Lets look at the data from R&T to see why:

                                                                    BMW
Honda

                                   Horsepower:    240 @ 6,000 rpm
240 @ 83000 rpm
                                   Torque:              236 @ 3800 rpm
153 @ 7500 rpm

                                   weight:               3070 lb
2790 lb

                                   5 speed
6 speed
                                   final drive ratio:  3.23:1
4.10.1

                                   0 - 60 mph:         5.4
5.5
                                    1/4 mile             14.0@ 99.5 mph
14.1 @ 99.6 mph

Both cars have horsepower and performance almost equal.  But look at the
torque for Honda, 153 @ 7500rpm versus 240 @ 6,000 for BMW.  To get BMW engine
performance out of the Honda engine you have to wind that sucker up pretty
high which for every day driving is not much fun.    And check  out rear axle
ratio,  gear box  speeds and weight for Honda compared to BMW.  Honda is 280
pounds less than BMW!  You would think with equal horsepower but less weight
the Honda should be much quicker .   It seems to me the Honda was made
different to get equal performance with less torque but the same horsepower.
Lets do an experiment:  If horsepower is more important, then  what if you
swapped the Honda engine into the  BMW, do you think BMW's 0 -60  and 1.4 mile
times stay the same?  How wants to fund this research?

                                                                  Jeff