Vroom! (Octane Question)

Subject: Vroom! (Octane Question)
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:29:53 -0800
Tiger Fans:
The octane discussion is very interesting. I don't know about the rest
of you, but I've often noticed the Tiger seemed noticably quicker, or
slower, from one tank of gas to the next, depending on which brand, and
which station I bought the gas from. I've heard that if you buy from a
station that dosn't sell a lot of that grade of gas, that over time the
octane rating declines as the gas ages. Any truth to that?

As to the Tiger's new lower compression heads and my current tank of low
octane 87 gas, following list suggestions I've been gradually advaning
the timing. I'm not using a timing light, just turning the distributor a
bit each time. The first three or four bumps up didn't make a
difference. However, the most recent advance (I'm turning the dist.
about a third to a half inch each time) really seems to have increased
low end torque. It's out to the car now to advance it a bit more to the
right and look for a girly man Porsche or BMW to test it out on.

Steve Sage