Timing Question

Subject: Timing Question
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:00:45 -0800
Sunbeamers:
As usual, I have a couple more questions.

What's the consensus on what initial timing should be on a Tiger? The
shop manual says 6 degrees BTDC at 500 RPM. Is this about right? Is
there a good starting point from, say, 800 RPM? What's the maximum
advance I should aim for when I rev up the engine? It's a "medium" tune
Ford 289.

In messing about with my timing by "feel", I've made the car harder to
start so, out comes the timing light tommorow to see where it actually
is. With my alternator on the left side, there's not enough room to see
down to the timing marks, but I was given the idea to take the
alternator out temporarily while setting the timing, which will give me
a clear shot with the timing light. How long can I run the car without
the alternator hooked up before the battery runs down?

And, by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Steve Sage