Re: Brakes

To: Per Lidefelt <per.lidefelt@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:35:01 -0800
Per,

I have had exactly the worn/loose front wheel bearing problem, as
described by Stu Brennan.  The pedal would go much further than normal
on first use.  This is as a result of the "wobbly" disc pushing back the
pucks.  When brakes are first applied, the pads push the rotor back to
the normal position by the clamping force centered about the correct
vertical position.  Next push is to normal depth, as the disc is now in
the correct position.

I had a front wheel bearing that was the wrong part number, and had a
larger ID than the OD of the axle. It was always falling out of place.
I ignored the symptoms, double pumping the first time, and drove many
miles.  A terrible judder was occurring in the front end, and I removed
the rotor.  The wheel bearing used tapered cylinder rollers, and one or
more was missing entirely, and another had the room to turn sideways in
the bearing, and was worn half way thru the diameter.  Don't know how I
lived thru that.

First sign of a "double-pump" and have your wheel bearing nut checked
for correct "play" adjustment, and make sure everything is all right.
It would not be too cautious to inspect the bearings for excessive wear,
as well as pack them with lubricant.

Steve

--
-----