Re: Low Vacuum question

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Low Vacuum question
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:57:15 -0800
At 11:18 PM 3/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>A fellow owners has asked me a question.  He is running a fairly
>high lift cam in his engine.  He had his 7 inch booster rebuilt
>for big $.  At idle or when shifting gears, he is loosing boost.
>No obvious vacuum leaks.  But at idle his vacuum is very
>low because of the cam.  Could this be his problem?
>
>What is the minimum vacuum the booster needs to work.
>
>He is thinking about putting in 302 variable lifters to boost
>the vacuum at low rpm.  Does this work?
>
>Dave Johnson

1. Check the function of the check valve at the booster.  If it's not
closing properly, it won't hold the vacuum already in the can, down stream
from the valve.

2. Check the vacuum hose between the manifold and the check valve
for  kinks and obstructions.  I've seen working boosters maligned for this
problem.

3. Make sure the vacuum hose is vacuum hose and not fuel hose.  Without
sufficient wall stiffness, the hose can collapse and prevent proper operation.

Tom