Re: Break servo unit

To: TERRY MORRIS <TERMAR@Prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Break servo unit
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:16:02 -0800
Terry,

You asked if the Mk2B can be rebuilt.  Well, yes - and no.  I had a
Girling Mk2B diaphragm design, with the factory crimp band (non
removable).  I liked it a lot.  It started leaking, as you describe, so
I looked for a rebuild kit.  In all my searching for this later Girling
product kit I only found one source, Moss Motors in Goleta, CA.  They
had only one, it did NOT include the new removable band needed for
re-clamping and normally part of the kit, and cost $350 for the rubber
parts, alone.  Rebuild labor might add another $200-$300.

I purchased a Girling Mk I piston type for $300, and it is working
fine.  It is the 7" size, as the Mk II Tiger used, and will fit the Mk
I/IA fender brace if the bolt-on attach arm from brace to servo is bent
over.  It feels as if the servo boost is somewhat higher than the
smaller unit.

That was 4 years ago, the rebuild isn't leaking much now, and I
sincerely doubt Moss Motors still has that kit.  Girling states they had
discontinued selling kits for the "B" a few years earlier still.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman