Re: Vice grips--one more

To: bmelusky@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Vice grips--one more
From: VegasLegal@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:38:00 EST
This is one of those things that appears incredibly obvious once realized.
Still, if there's anyone out there that never saw this use, the following might
prove very helpful.

I had an '89 XJ-S that I picked up in 1995.  Like any five year old XJ-S, the
bonnet was up bi-weekly.  When I got it the gas strut supports were already
failed.  $179 for factory replacements; $99 for after-market.  When the
replaced ones failed in just six months, I relegated myself to a broom handle.

Then I saw a vice grip use at a local shop.  I couldn't believe I hadn't seen
it before and hadn't thought of it.  A vice grip clamped to the piston of the
gas strut at the receiving tube will hold the strut open indefinately.  This
will also provide a safety for those struts that slowly fail and lower the
tailgate or hood on your head while you looking in the trunk or engine
compartment.

Bob Nersesian