Re: OT Tiger Fan NOT LAT

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com (Steve Laifman)
Subject: Re: OT Tiger Fan NOT LAT
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:17:03 -0700
 Steve, The fan on page 85 of "TBON" may not be a picture of the LAT
42/32 fan. I can't find my copy of the Sunbeam FIA papers (did I loan
them to you?), but I believe the LAT 42/32 fan was the fan used for
racing and had a one inch hub hole. The fan shown in the "TBON" has the
small 5/8" hole. The C9DZ Ford fan (5/8" hub hole) (which was available,
now obsolete) appears to be an updated version of the 1964 C4DE six
blade Canadian fan with the original 1" hub hole. The C9DZ fan has much
wider fan blades and really isn't a good copy of the LAT 42/32 fan. The
fan on eBay is a much closer copy. David
-------
David,
I am afraid the "orr4sale" eBay offered of this 6 Blade fan is
unfamiliar with LAT options, or Alpines for that matter.
This blade is definitely not acceptable for Alpine use (or needed), as
the Alpine did not use Ford mounting holes, or have a 1" center hole
caused by putting the Ford V-8 hub on the water pump backwards, to allow
more fan clearance to the radiator.
Just to top the whole thing off, the LAT 42 (or LAT 32, if Norman
Miller's notes on clerical error are applied) is a COMPLETELY different
fan (See "TBON", P. 85) THIS IS NOT A LAT FAN!!!!!!, (but a good one)

The fan being offered appears to be the Ford asymmetric 6 blade with
aluminum blades that was made in a Canadian Ford parts factory. It IS
widely used, successfully, on many Tigers. That center hub hole should
be accurately machined in the exact center as it is the element that
allows the fan to be centered and balanced. Mine was done on a vertical
mill, and cost me $50 at the Ford Dealer.   Probably the last one in
California. The part number is C9DZ-8600A for cross referencing at bone
yards, and probably is from an AC 4 or 6 Cyl Ford.

Steve
Thought this LAT 42 type Tiger fan on eBay might be of interest to
someone.

David
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2472954599