Electrical Problems

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Problems
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 21:41:32 -0400
Hello All:
I am still struggling with electrical problems.  At this point, the engine will
not crank, so I have been trying to trace circuits and am beginning to think
that the generator wiring is wrong or that the generator itself has suffered
an internal hemorrhage.  Unfortunately, the WSM does not give me enough
info to determine if I have the generator wiring correct, so I wonder if
someone
would be so kind as to take a look at their setup and do a comparison.  When
I stand on the right (passenger) side of the car and look at the generator, I
see two terminals on top, one labeled G and the other F.  To the G terminal
is connected a single black wire.  To F is a Red/Green wire.  On the end of
the generator, facing the rear of the car, are two other connections - a large
nut & bolt with a fat brown/yellow wire connected and, next to that, a hex
screw connecting two black wires to the generator case.  Using my
continuity tester, I find all four of these terminals are connected to ground!
Can that be correct?  If not, is the generator fried?  BTW, lest you think I
am a complete idiot, I am not responsible for the wiring as it stands.  The
same guy who did the wiring had installed the oil cooler upside down.  In
any case, I would appreciate any and all help anyone might offer.  TIA.
Tod
B382002384LRXFE

P.S. Thank you, Theo, for pointing me toward the instrument grounds behind
the fascia as the source of my problems with the tach.  After some repair,
the tach did work correctly for a brief moment before the engine died and
refused to crank.