Re: New Mystery -continued.

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: New Mystery -continued.
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:08:49 -0700
Theo Smit wrote:

>Part 2:
>
>Without the engine running, your ignition circuit consists of the battery,
>the wiring to the ignition switch, ........................

Theo:
This is the best explanation I've come across as to how everything works
and all the places where I need to look for my voltage drop. My
Pertronix is connected exactly as you describe, and as their
instructions say to do. I'll be giving my multi-meter a good workout
this weekend doing the tests you suggest.

Here's a good one though. Where do I find the engine ground strap? I'll
bet it's the same one the factory installed in 1966.

I have also received some advice from a couple of knowledeable car folks
that another issue is my alternator. I think it's rated at maybe 60 or
70 amps. With my two AC fans running, plus the auxilliary radiator fan
going along with the stereo, the ignition, turn signals, brake lights,
etc., I am told that my alternator's capacity will be exceeded with all
that stuff running, and when that happens, on a hot day, voltage to the
Pertronix could sink below a critical point, causing the module to turn
off, or bump off and on, as I have experienced on a few occassions,
which started this whole discussion. Do you think this could also be a
contributing factor?

Regards,
Steve Sage