RE: loose wires under dash

To: <JHMEARSRN@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: loose wires under dash
From: "Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:57:23 -0400
John
        First, always check wires with a voltmeter for voltage and try to
find it's origin with continuity with the battery disconnected before you
just plug wires together.   Lucas smoke is a foul smelly beast that must
always be contained and never let out of the wires. :)

The purple wire should be a 12v feed wire from the fuse box.   On my Tiger
this is a spare unused connector; probably for the optional interior lights.

Brown wire w/U clip; this one is a mystery to me. Brown wires are associated
with the battery and are heavy wires  Are you sure it is brown?   Black
would be a ground wire.   You need to find the origin of this wire, try to
trace it back to the next connection.

Blue wire; another mystery.   Is it just blue or does it have blue w/ a
strip color?   Blue wires are associated with the headlights.   You need to
trace this wire also.

        If both of these wires the brown and blue are connected to the turn
signal switch then they are probably for the flash the headlights to pass
switch.  You can check this by taking the covers off the steering column or
check that there is no voltage on either wire then check for continuity
between the 2 wires as you gently pull the turn signal stack.

        With the brown and blue wires disconnected; do all your turn
signals, lights, and gages work?  If so then they are optional wires that
can be left along, just tape them up out of the way and enjoy the ride.

Hope this helps.
Ron Fraser