eBay Frauds

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: eBay Frauds
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:17:08 -0700
We have all been upset, on occasion, when it appears eBay is allowing
the offering of suspected misrepresented items.  There never seemed to
be a way of dealing with it, other than complaining privately to the
seller - who frequently ignores questions.

Well, we were lucky on the last Tiger sale as the merchant thoroughly
answered every area in which Alpine features were present on an offered
Tiger.  He put the information on the auction page.  Now, at least,
bidders can know the deviations, and decide whether the explanations are
satisfactory.  For some reason the seller withdrew the offer at a later
date.

Well, Reuters just reported Tiffany is suing eBay for a reported 75%
imitation sales by vendors.  Not getting into the discussion of who
should be to blame, my biggest concern was their was no place to ask
eBay to examine a suspect with cause listing.

I was wrong.  A carefully hidden address gets you in contact with the
eBay group responsible.  How "responsible" they are is yet to be
determined, but here is the URL for registering a complaint:

eBay has specific policies against selling counterfeit items
(http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/counterfeit.html), and while it
does what it can to monitor such things it mainly relies on other users
to report such items.

Well, it may be better than just complaining to each other!

--
-----

Steve Laifman
Editor