RE: Headlight grounding.

To: "'Stu Brennan'" <stubrennan@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headlight grounding.
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:51:53 -0600
Hi Stu,
Joe Lucas will get his dues one way or the other... What I've seen happen
sometimes is that the solder wicks into the wire a little ways, and then it
creates a high-stress zone where the wire will fracture the next time,
possibly helped by corrosion from flux that got trapped underneath the
insulation.

I'm not saying "don't do it" - obviously it's been successful for you, and
I've done it as well in cases where I didn't trust the crimp on its own. But
it is definitely possible to make things worse unless you're careful to use
the right solder (with rosin or water-soluble flux - NOT acid type flux),
and make sure to clean it up with some flux remover afterward, then cover up
the joint with a weatherproof coating. Electrical tape will do here, but a
glue type heat shrink tubing is the best.

Theo