Flywheel, ring gear, starter mismatch

To: 66Tiger@ij.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheel, ring gear, starter mismatch
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:46:07 EDT
Matt,
       I have seen the 157 tooth version many times and Ford no longer
supplies them.  They told me the 160 tooth version would work and they were
correct.

       I have installed starter ring gears many times, but this one was
different: I heated the gear in my oven and chilled the flywheel in my freezer
(as
usual) and I was very surprised how little difference in diameter there was
between the gear and flywheel.  Fortunately, I had my rubber mallet handy and I
was just able to get it home.  Next time, I am going to QFC and buy a small
block of dry ice to shrink the flywheel a bit smaller AND to give more time to
work with the gear, if necessary.

I was able to source both of these gears at my local Ford Dealership last
summer.  Here are the numbers for you.

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle

157 tooth starter ring gear  C202-6A008-A
164 tooth starter ring gear  D202-6754-A