Sunbeam trademark ownership

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Sunbeam trademark ownership
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:05:37 -0600
Hi all,
An unrelated bit of browsing on Slashdot (http://slashdot.org) led me to
search the US Patent and Trademark Office's website (www.uspto.gov) for the
trademark "Sunbeam". Surprisingly, there are two live trademarks on "Sunbeam
Tiger" and one on "Sunbeam Alpine", assigned to Michael T. Hughes, and filed
on January 26, 2004. As I understand it, the type of filing indicates
"intent to use", not "currently using". The trademarks include motor
vehicles as well as clothing items, and he's registered 'Sunbeam' back in
2001 as well.

What gives here? Is Mr. Hughes going to build us model year 2005 Tigers? Or
are we going to be harassed for using the phrase "Sunbeam Tiger" when
referring to things not marketed by him?

Best regards,
Theo