Ballbolt, and other delights

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ballbolt, and other delights
From: "Lawrence Wright" <wrightsinseabrook@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:30:41 -0400
   Yet again, I have sheared off one of the ballbolts, that strange
round-headed fastener that secure the leading edge of the "boot doors" on a Mk
1 Tiger. Alas, the last catalog I got from Rick at SS shows this item still
out-of-stock. Are there any alternative solutions, or do I just let the door
flop around?

   The Garage Queen is running again, after an embarrassing number of months
out of service for leaking clutch hydraulics. Getting the slave cylinder was
tough, but doable, as has reinstallation. rebuilding the unit was easy. I
broke off the slave end of the metal fluid line, which might be expected as it
was the one pipe I hadn't changed and might have dated to 1964. What drove me
nuts was getting the new line to "start" in the slave cylinder,  I just
couldn't get it to "bite". On the gazillionth attempt, I decided to try to put
downward pressure on the fitting... not easy in the tight confines next to the
tranny. Eventually, I used a small open-end wrench of about 5mm, slipped it
over the line and pushed down against the top of the fitting, while turning
the fitting with a larger wrench. This finally worked, and I can report that
the system holds pressure.

   Seeing the recent discussion of the "new Sunbeam Tiger", I guess I should
be glad I didn't submit an "I'm interested" at that website if it turns out to
be a hoax. It doesn't look remotely like a Tiger anyway, no styling cues
picked up at all that I can see. The headlights and grille opening look more
like a Bocar to me.

Lawrence R. Wright
"I can't get no -- Satis-traction"