RE: Brake pistons STUCK

To: "'Chris Mottram'" <c_mottram@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake pistons STUCK
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:07:26 -0400
Chris
        I have used air pressure from my compressor to pop the pistons out.
Remove the bleeder screw, put a thick piece of wood between the pistons and
apply the air pressure at the bleeder screw hole.   One piston will pop out
first, clean the piston and bore if needed, clamp the piston in the bore and
apply air pressure to move the second piston.   Be very careful with this
method, things can happen very quickly.

        I friend of mine puts calipers into a bucket of light weight oil for
a week or more and says the pistons always come right out.

        If the calipers are still on the car you can try using the car's
brake system to move the pistons.   Remove one brake pad at time and pump
the brakes to get the pistons to move or better yet have someone else pump
the brakes so you can watch that the piston has moved.   You may want to use
a thin piece of wood here so the piston does not hit the rotor.

Hope this helps.
Ron Fraser