Re: Edelbrock Aluminum Heads and HiPo Water pump

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Edelbrock Aluminum Heads and HiPo Water pump
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
If all other variables are the same, the power potential should be
proportial to the displacement increase of ~11%. Reality is that the
260 will have a number of areas where performance enhancements are
sub-optimized as compared to a 289 or 302 so you might expect a 15% or
greater power difference. Now consider that a roller cam 347 stroker
(or 364ci with blocks that allow .120 OB) is virtually transparent in
terms of having a "vintage look" (I doubt anyone can easily see the 5
bolt-6 bolt difference without carrying around a car jack) and you're
looking at a 35%-45% power disadvantage with the 260. If you're willing
to switch to aluminum heads, there is no reason whatsoever to not
simply switch to a 302 roller cam block and stroker crank (other than
$).

Stephen Waybright

--- Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net> wrote:

If I were to build similar motors 260 vs 289 what do I gain?  I want to
keep my car looking vintage so I would be searching for that elusive 5
bolt 289 block. Al heads might just put enough performance on the 260
to be worth it.