Re: Dark matter in brake fluid

To: Pointers <gpointer@telusplanet.net>
Subject: Re: Dark matter in brake fluid
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:26:42 -0700
Gary,

I do not know if my suspected conclusion on similar observation is
accurate.  I am using silicone in the clutch system, and do not observe
any changes there, but the brake fluid does get black.  It seems to be a
sooty particulate that settles, although I have never filtered it.

Strict on using Castrol LMA, and Girling rubber components, I have
changed most rubber components at least once, with the same eventual
results.  It does not seem to influence immediate performance.  It has
been stated that Girling rubber requires LMA to "swell to fit".  Perhaps
this "reaction" also causes rubber components to slowly "flake", or
dissolve, in the fluid.  Perhaps worn rubber surfaces flake off, and
float around?

I recommend a complete flush, until clear through all cylinders,
including rear.  Then observe changes.  Suck some fluid into a dropper
and place on filter paper (or coffee filter) to see if they are
particles, and note size, shape, feel.  If you do bleed your brakes
regularly, what does the removed fluid look like?  Bet it has the same
look you are describing in your reservoir.  Mine seems to.

Any info back to the list is always able to get someone to think of a
cause, if the answer strikes a chord.

Steve

--
-----