Central Valley Classics Responds!

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Central Valley Classics Responds!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:13:08 -0700
Tigers, and Mr. "Owner" of Central Valley Classics, anonymous,

Below is the message received from Central Valley Classics, without the
identification of the person sending the message.  This is in response
to my message he quoted.

As any dispassionate reading of my original message will reveal, a
simple question was raised on knowledge of authenticity, and no charge
was made of "slander", or "misrepresentation".

His reply is defensive, and offensive. He attacks the owner's of
original classics from questioning authenticity. He attacks Norman for
trying to keep things sorted out. He makes intimations of threats that
are ludicrous, and he has removed the picture (subsequent postings) from
his site.

Regardless of his defense that he is only a poster of other peoples ads,
the information is not ascribed to anyone but his own posting.  Even
then, as a merchant wanting to maintain the interests of all he promotes
and represents, he ought to take to heart any question that the offering
may be misrepresenting the merchandise, and is not in accordance with
Motor Vehicle Identification law.

In spite of his poor communication, and implied threats, the tone of the
note and his subsequent actions imply concern.

Good. He should be concerned.  Being a "broker", as he implies, instead
of an owner, does not relieve him of the need to act responsibly.  This
is especially true if significant concerns have been surfaced. A polite
reply, rather than a lot of flailing and hollow threats, would have been
more appropriate.  Some concern for his own reputation does not seem to
be of concern to him, although a reading of his response tells much.

I have no idea what his problem is with bashing Norman, Sean, Larry,
Jensen, Rootes, or the many other inquiries he received.  It seems
overly hostile and defensive when simple questions have been asked
concerning his knowledge of the authenticity of his representations.  A
lot of flailing, name calling, and un-businesslike conduct on his part,
in my opinion.

These are my views of his response, and do not necessarily represent
those of anyone else.  On the other hand, there may be many who see this
the same way I do.  If there are those who want to overspend on an
imitation car, fine. That is their privilege.  But, it should be a
knowledgeable decision, not one based on misinformation and misdirection.

Thanks to those on the list who have asked, with sincerity, whether his
offering for sale (directly on his web site, and perhaps on behalf of
and un-named client) is legitimate, legal, and as represented.

All fair questions to which any legitimate businessman would be glad to
respond.

Steve
-----

Steve Laifman