Re: LAT wheels

To: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: LAT wheels
From: "bob josten" <bobjosten@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:57:11 -0700
Hi Erich,

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for different sizes. The original LAT70's
were sand cast, heavy and fairly crude and the newer version is die cast. I
assume Rick is having someone dust off the die cast tooling and going from
there.
To produce all new patterns and tooling for different die cast sizes would
cost a fortune.
A few years ago I was having aluminum parts sand cast and when production
was getting into the high hundreds and low thousands I took a hard look at
changing over to die casting.
The price per part with die casting was half that of comparable sand cast
parts but the tooling cost was shocking. I would guess a large and complex
part like a wheel would cost a ton.
regards

Bob