Re: Wheels

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: RMEbstein@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:52:02 EDT
Hi Jim,

I just purchased my Tiger recently and have or had the same question. Rick at
Sunbeam Specialties told me that if the tire diameter stays between 23" to
23.5" and the tire width is around 6" you should be safe. The Tire Rack has an
excellent website for determining tires sizes and such.

I finally decided to purchase Panasports. 14x6's for the front and 14x7's for
the rear. I bought BF Goodrich H-rated Traction TA's (ranked #1 in the High
Performance All Season tire category) from the Tire Rack. 195-60's for the
front and 205-60's for the rear. I haven't installed them yet, but I was told
by
Dale A that this combo works without any body mods. We'll see, but every Tiger
or any classic car is different after 40 years of motoring.

I researched Minilites, but the original design "Alloy" or "Classic" Minilite
only comes in 13" or 15" sizes. Minilite does not manufacture a 14" "Alloy"
or "Classic" wheel. However, Minilite does offer their "Sport" wheel, which has
a slightly different design than the original Minilite. Rick at Sunbeam
Specialties did have these "Sport" wheels in stock. If you want the "Classic"
or
"Alloy" design then you have to order them from the UK and that will take about
6 weeks.

I was told by Dale A that some body lip and front valance trimming was
involved with 15's or greater. Further, my personal opinion is that the larger
wheel
sizes, which means smaller tire sidewalls, do not look very period correct.

I just know that the 13's have to go.

Rodney