RE: Nitrogen Embrittlement (acid manifold porting)

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Nitrogen Embrittlement (acid manifold porting)
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:26:40 -0300
Steve;

As a long time bike restorer, I confess to compete ignorance of the
trick to bake chrome spokes to remove the hydrogen and prevent
embrittlement. In fact, it is well known in bike wheel building circles
that chrome plating spokes with a sharp bend in the end that goes
through the hub is a guarantee of wheel failure. Straight-pull spokes
seem to be just fine, however.

How does this "baking" process work? When do you bake, after chroming?
And at what temp and for how long? This is great news if it really
works. I have been using stainless spokes in those critical locations
where a shiny finish is wanted.

Spill the beans. I will be a hero in the bike wheel building world!

Dave

Tom,

Hydrogen embrittlement is a well known phenomena resulting from
operations like the acid in an chrome electroplate penetrating into a
wire wheel spoke and degrading it's tensile strength.  Many 50's era
chrome shops were turning out chromed wheels that the factory had
painted.  It resulted in quickly broken spokes.  The lesson was learned
to BAKE the spokes in an oven to remove the hydrogen.